Epyx FastLoad Screenshot
|ROM||8/16 kbyte (C64/C128)|
|Manual||PDF: Epyx FastLoad Manual|
PDF: Turbo Load and Save Manual
FastLoad(tm) by Epyx was released in 1984 and quickly became very popular in the USA. It supplies all basic functions and speed ups a user _really_ requires and is said to be quite compatible towards original software. Makes us wonder why there are several documentations found on adding an ON/OFF switch to the cartridge. Especially since there is a software option to disable the cartridge. FastLoad was designed by Scott Nelson who also did the Vorpal utility kit, loading and protection system for Epyx. A C128 version of the Epyx FastLoad is also available. www.retroport.de notes over 650.000 sold units without a source though. Would be interesting to know the origin of that number.
Spinnaker Software Corporation released the BetterWorking Fast Load and Save cartridge in 1986 which is hardware compatible to the Epyx FastLoad. Therefore manual and binaries are included below.
Nowadays there are clones available going by e.g. Epyx FastLoad Reloaded and alike. This Lemon thread discusses a problem which might arise from the use of replacement parts.
- Fast serial I/O (1541 floppy disk drives)
- DOS wedge
- Disk and file copy
- Basic disk editor
- 8kb ROM, mapped to $8000 in 8k game config (if enabled) - last page of the rom is visible in io2 The Epyx FastLoad cart uses a simple capacitor to toggle the ROM on and off: the capacitor is discharged, and 8k game config enabled, by - reading ROML - reading io1 if none of that happens the capacitor will charge, and if it is charged then the ROM will get disabled.
- Epyx FastLoad .bin and converted .crt for three versions
- Epyx FastLoad Charger Hack, Express Hack and Jet Load Hack .bin and converted .crt
- PDF: Epyx FastLoad Manual
- Epyx FastLoad Manual Project64.txt
- Epyx FastLoad ON/OFF switch howto by The Transactor April 1987
- Epyx FastLoad ON/OFF switch howto by Commodore Magazine Januar 1988
- Epyx FastLoad Dumper by Markus Brenner
- High resolution pictures of the Epyx FastLoad board
- Epyx FastLoad PCB Files, partslist, etc. by a mirror of sys64738/DDI's page
- Epyx FastLoad Schematics by ALARD EALES ( BitBlaster66 )
- Epyx FastLoad Schematics by a git clone of https://github.com/svenpetersen1965/Epyx-FastLoad
- BetterWorking Fast Load and Save .bin and converted .crt along with the english Manual
Thanks to Alard Eales (BitBlaster66) for the schematics! Thanks to Pete Rittwage from C64 Preservation Project for the early 'v1' version without the file menu and the BetterWorking Fast Load and Save dump.( lemon ).
Also thanks to sys64738/DDI for the files required to clone your own FastLoad Cartridge - see www.sys64738.net/ddifl/ddifl.htm